Adventure in de Stijl Gariep Hotel Area.
Located on the shores of the largest inland water mass in South Africa makes de Stijl a great spot for both water sports and adventure. The greater Lake Gariep region has an abundance of culture and recent history relating to the Great Trek and Anglo Boer War. There are several significant sites in the area including Colesberg, Bethulie and Norval’s Point.
Downstream from Lake Gariep, the perennial Orange River offers the adventurer and sport fanatic a host of adventure tourism activities. Please enquire at reception for bookings.
- Philippolis – home to Oom Jepe’s House the Old Jail and the Witblits Museum.
- Natures calling – Three nature reserves – surround Lake Gariep; Oviston Nature Reserve, Tussen-die-Riviere Reserve and the Gariep Nature Reserve, together covering an unspoilt, preserved area of 85 000 hectares.
- Glider Flights Nov, Des, Jan.
- 4×4 Route near the hotel running through streams and up the mountains with wonderful Karoo views.
- Bethulie – home of Patrick Mynhard and various Anglo Boer War sites.
- The Gariep Route – a tour of towns on the shores of the dam, and South Africa’s the largest bridge.
- Take to the Air – plane or glider flights. (LIMITED TIMES OF THE YEAR, NORMALLY BETWEEN NOVEMBER AND DESEMBER AND LIMITED TO SPECIAL EVENTS ONLY). Contact us first.
- Tiger Experience – John Varty Tiger Canyon at Philippolis.
- Out on the Water – Boating on Gariep Dam
- Walk the Wall – Gariep Dam wall tour
- Going down the River – Canoe trip on the Orange River
- In the Saddle – Horse riding on nearby farms
- Fast and Dirty – Quad biking, Karoo style.
- Activities depend on availability and group numbers, please enquire at reception.
Terms and conditions apply to all suggested area activities and make sure of availability of your planned activity long in advanced/before your arrival.
There is nothing like a boat cruise on the biggest dam in South Africa. Enjoy a trip to the dam wall or to an island or how about a sun-downer.
Gariep Nature Reserve
Gariep Dam has nature reserves on the north and south side. You can visit these reserves and enjoy game viewing.
Gariep Dam wall Tours
The dam wall has different levels inside. Take the elevator all the way down to the original riverbed. There are various places of interest inside the wall including a hall and theater.
The place to be for water enthusiasts. People come from far to enjoy their boats, sailing, jet sky and to organize events from powerboats or other races.
There is some serious fishing going on in and around the Gariep Dam. With rivers flowing into the Dam and the Orange river exiting the dam.
With so many hills in the area it creates a perfect opportunity to host cycling events. These events vary from Nasionals for short distances to the 165km route going around the Gariep Dam.
4 x 4
4×4 events are hosted at Gariep Dam and in the Gariep Dam area. Take your vehicle on a journey up a mountain overlooking the Karoo landscape or do a 4×4 track to test your skills.
There is a variety or gravel roads and mountain hills in the area and Gariep Dam has hosted events with success. Take your bike on the road and enjoy the experience.
People visit Gariep Dam with their boats and stay out on the water for hours catching the big ones.